Friday, July 13, 2012

Do You Like Chinese?

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” (John 4: 34 NIV)

If I were to take a survey today and ask about your favorite food choices, I bet one of them would be Chinese food.  From my early days in Canada (where Chinese food is authentic and delicious), one of my favorite dinners is Chinese egg rolls, sweet and sour chicken, fried rice (pork or chicken!), and beef and broccoli delight.  Anyone reading this share my love for this Asian cuisine?

While out and about doing spiritual work last week, I was impressed by the Spirit to drop into one of our favorite chinese restaurants.  This was not a feeding frenzy but a spiritual visit to open doors of communication that I might tell the restaurateur about Jesus Christ and His ability to feed his soul for eternity.  The young man who greeted me was very cordial and we struck up an instant friendship.  We discussed the restaurant’s history and what it was like for them to serve the Glens Falls public.  It was fun and informative interacting with him. Finally the moment arrived for me to tell him the purpose of my visit.  Imagine my joy when I learned that the owner was a Christ follower.  I’d found a friend who knew my Best Friend personally!

After explaining the real reason for my visit, I left my card, promised to help them in any way I could, and strode to my car. Once inside the cool comfort of my vehicle, I gave thanks to God for the privilege of being able to visit people to tell them about my Lord Jesus.

Jesus once commented on His mission: “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work” (John 4: 34 NIV).  I’d like to think that it is God’s will and my mission to drop into people’s lives and tell them about Jesus and His death and resurrection. Why? So that they can feast with me at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb (Rev. 19: 9).

How about you? Have you begun the work He’s calling you to do so that you can finish it before Jesus returns (1 Thess. 4: 13-18)?

No comments: