Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Deliverance from Our Warring Ways

Here's what I've been reading in my time with the Lord this morning. It's from Isaiah, one of the major prophets:

"He will judge between the nations
and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore." (Isaiah 2)

As I read, I sensed the overwhelm that so many feel because this prophecy has yet to be fulfilled. We have false judges who refuse to settle disputes righteously. Swords flash wildly about us and spear wound and destroy. Nations turn against nations and the training for war continues unabated, as if by training for battle, we can battle what ails us as human beings.

We a deep sigh I exclaim, "Come soon, Holy One of Israel. Deliver us from our warring ways!?

No comments: